Digital data is an indispensable part of our lives. Our computers contain some of our most important files: thesis, study materials, personal data, photos, business documents, and many other data that we can’t afford to lose.
However, there are times when we accidentally delete an important file on our PC. This article shows you how to use data recovery tools like MiniTool software to recover deleted files quickly.
Accidentally deleting data can happen to anyone. There are several ways to recover deleted data. Still, not everyone knows what tools to use and how to retrieve deleted files on PC.
In this easy to understand tutorial, I will walk you through specific and user-friendly steps to undelete files quickly. I’ll also share with you what happens when files get deleted.
How to Retrieve Deleted Files on PC
Recover Deleted Files Windows
If you deleted a file or the entire folder by mistake in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or other systems, you can recover it from backup, Recycle Bin, or even the emptied Recycle Bin with professional software. As for how to recover deleted file on PC, please read the steps below.
Backup is essential for data recovery for Windows.
- If you have a backup, please recover deleted data there.
- However, if you don’t have any backups, you can check Windows Recycle Bin to see whether the important files you need can be found there.
Recover Deleted Files from Recycle Bin
- Right-click the Recycle Bin on your desktop.
- Select Open from the context menu.
- Check and select files to recover.
- Right-click the files you want to recover.
- Choose Restore from the context menu to recover selected files. You can also drag the files directly out of the Recycle Bin.
Click to know more about Recycle Bin recovery.
Restore Previous Versions
Can’t find the files you want to restore in Recycle Bin? Don’t worry; you still have a chance to recover them. Here are the steps to restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed (if the System Restore is enabled in advance):
- Double click on This PC icon on the desktop or press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Find the folder that contains the lost file or folder.
- Right click on it and select Restore previous versions.
How to recover permanently deleted files on PC? Please choose free and high-quality data recovery software like MiniTool Power Data Recovery to help you recover deleted files free.
Recover with Third-party Software
How can I get my files back after I accidentally deleted them? Continue reading below. The steps to successfully recover deleted files in Windows 10, Windows 7, and other operating systems are basically the same.
How to undelete important files with Power Data Recovery?
- Download MiniTool Power Data Recoveryand install it to a drive that does not contain the files you want to recover.
- Run the software. It supports all common file types like photos and videos.
Steps to recover deleted files after emptying Recycle Bin:
- Select Logical Drivesfrom the top.
- You can choose the file type you need by clickingon the Expand icon at bottom left and selecting Scan Settings. Then, click OK to confirm.
- Select the partition that contains the files you’ve deleted and click Scan.
- Browse the scan results and select the files you want.
- Click Save and set a storage location.
- Click OK to confirm and wait until the data recovery is completed.
After accomplishing the steps above, you can complete the process of recovering lost and permanently deleted files.It also introduces the way to recover data deleted from cloud storage services like OneDrive.
That’s how to retrieve deleted files on PC when you have a Windows OS.
Note: MiiniTool Power Data Recovery can also help you with Windows data recovery on server systems.
Restore Deleted Files Mac
If you have a Mac OS and want to do data recovery on Mac, you can use Time Machine. But you have a better option: using the file recovery program Stellar Data Recovery.
Download Stellar Data Recovery, then install and launch it to start hard drive recovery.
- First, choose the file types that you want. To do this, you can turn on Recover Everything or manually select the file type.
- Select the drive containing the deleted Mac files.
- Click on the Scan button at the bottom right.
- Wait for the scan to be completed.
- Browse the data found and select the files you need. You can retrieve documents, recover photos, and other types of data.
- Click on the Recover button and choose the file path.
- Click on the Save button to confirm and wait for the file recovery on Mac to be completed.
Here’s how to recover lost files Mac:
Recover Your Deleted Files in Other Cases
It’s a good thing to know that aside from retrieving deleted files on your PC, you can also recover files from:
- External disks
- Flash disks
- Memory cards
- Android devices
How to Recover Files Deleted from Other Devices
Recover data from external hard drives.
To recover deleted data from external storage, you only need to add one step at the beginning: connect the device to your PC and make sure your computer detects it. (What if the external storage doesn’t appear?)
Recover files from flash drives.
Follow the simple steps below to start recovering files from a flash drive:
- Connect your USB to the PC.
- Make sure the USB drive appears on your computer. (How to fix when USB flash disk can’t be recognized).
- Open the recovery software and use it to restore files that were deleted/lost from your flash drive.
Restore files from memory cards.
How to recover lost files from SD card:
- Insert the SD card into a card reader.
- Connect the card reader to your PC.
- Use the software to scan it for deleted data.
Tips on recovering deleted files from SD card:
Restore deleted files Android.
Two choices torecover a deleted file on Android.
- Choice 1: recover Android data with MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
- Choice 2: restore deleted files from Android device with MiniTool Mobile Recovery for Android.
Recover files after a virus attack.
Power Data Recovery can not only help you restore files deleted permanently, but alsoget back files deleted by virus attack.
Please note: if your PC is unable to boot after a virus attack, please resort to the bootable edition.
Recover files from deleted partition.
If apartitionis deleted or lost, scan the whole disk to find the missing files. To do this, selectHardDiskDrive and follow the steps mentioned above to find files and folders.
That’s how I recover my files on PC quickly using MiniTool Power Data Recovery, which is a better choice than Stellar Data Recovery.
What Happens When a File Is Deleted or Lost
When you delete files permanently, they will not disappear from your device; you just lose entries to them. The situation is the same when a file system is damaged.
What happens when you delete a file on a Windows PC?
The file content itself won’t be cleared. When you delete a file in Windows Explorer, Windows will move it to Recycle Bin and mark it as deleted. Even if it’s cleared from the Recycle Bin, the actual data remains on the PC.
That’s why you can recover deleted file or folder with the help of file recovery software.
How to deal with the Windows Explorer needs to be restarted problem
Even if you’re a beginner, you can learn how to retrieve deleted files on PC and other devices with the right data recovery software.
In this article, we’ve shared several easy and effective recovery methods to help you quickly recover deleted data on your PC or another device.
One important thing to keep in mind is that you must stop writing new data or using the PC after file deletion to avoid overwriting data.
Right-click the file or folder, and then select Restore previous versions. You'll see a list of available previous versions of the file or folder. The list will include files saved on a backup (if you're using Windows Backup to back up your files) as well as restore points, if both types are available.How do I recover permanently deleted files from my computer? ›
Press the Windows key, enter Windows File Recovery in the search box, and then select Windows File Recovery. When you are prompted to allow the app to make changes to your device, select Yes. There are 2 basic modes you can use to recover files: Regular and Extensive.Can lost files be recovered? ›
Right-click on the file or folder you want to recover. Select the Restore option from the menu to recover the item to its original location. Another method is to drag the files out of the Recycle Bin to the desktop or another storage location.Where do accidentally deleted files go? ›
When you delete a file or folder, it goes into the Recycle bin, where you have a chance to restore it.What is the quickest and easiest way to recover data? ›
The best data recovery software of 2022 in full:
- Stellar Data Recovery. The best file recovery software. ...
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. ...
- Disk Drill. ...
- CrashPlan. ...
- OnTrack EasyRecovery.
Use the Recycle Bin
As long as you don't permanently delete the file or empty the Bin, the file should be available for you to recover. Simply open the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop. As with any folder, you can sort the files by name, location, date, and other criteria. You can also search for a file by name.
So where do deleted files go? Whenever you delete a file in your computer and empty your Recycle Bin, your data is not entirely wiped out from your computer. Although you can no longer see the file in the location it once was and your operating system no longer has it, a copy of it still exists on your hard drive.What are three ways to recover lost files? ›
- Check Your Recycle Bin. Find the File. ...
- Use the Control Panel. If you can't find the file in the recycling bin, it could still be stored elsewhere on your computer. ...
- Use a Data Recovery Software. ...
- Hire a Data Recovery Service.
Recently deleted files, including photos, can stick around in your phone's system for up to 30 days after you have pressed the "Delete" button.How do I recover lost files from Ctrl Z? ›
- Open the File Explorer.
- Right-click on the folder and select "Undo delete".
- Then this will ideally restore your recently deleted file just like Ctrl + Z would.
While you accidentally deleted a file or folder on the computer hard disk drive, you can retrieve the files back by click "Ctrl+Z". Or you can right-click on the location it will pop-up a list option and click "Undo Delete" to get your files back.How do I manually recover data? ›
- Download and Install Disk Drill for Windows or Mac OS X. Data recovery for free.
- Launch Disk Drill recovery software, select the crashed hard disk and click: ...
- Preview the files you found with Quick or Deep Scan. ...
- Click Recover to recover your lost data.
- Open the Start menu.
- Type “restore files” and hit Enter on your keyboard.
- Look for the folder where you deleted files were stored.
- Select the “Restore” button in the middle to undelete Windows 10 files to their original location.
1. Program files folder. Program files named folder contains all the programs that are installed in your PC by default. So deleting this folder will result in a crash or malfunction in the system and lead to data loss.How can I recover permanently deleted files for free? ›
Try Windows File Recovery
Windows file recovery is free to use application available on the windows app store. It operates on some simple command line to recover permanently deleted files from your PC. You can use this tool to recover files from multiple storage devices like hard drives, memory cards, USB drives, etc.
Are Deleted Files Completely Erased Forever? A common misconception when deleting files is that they are completely removed from the hard drive. However, users should be aware that highly sensitive data can still be retrieved from a hard drive even after the files have been deleted because the data is not really gone.Is data ever truly deleted? ›
Some of you may breathe a sigh of relief, thinking that the data is gone forever once deleted. But, this is not the case. The deleted information is never really gone; you can easily recover it. If you accidentally deleted any of your files, you can be at comfort by knowing this.Will resetting my computer get rid of a hacker? ›
The only way to get rid of a hacker completely is to delete all drivers, and files that are installed into different peripherals, USB, wireless, network, bluetooth, drive, and everything that could possibly be rooted into. If one remains after a wipe, when you restart, it'll go back to fully infested.Can CTRL Z undelete a folder? ›
To be specific, if you mistakenly hit Delete button on a file or folder, you can use the Ctrl + Z keyboard shortcut to restore it. Open the folder that used to contain the deleted file. Then, hold Ctrl + Z to undo delete. Note: if your hands are unfamiliar with keyboards, you can also undo a deletion.How do I find a file that disappeared? ›
- Method #1: Check Your Recent Files.
- Method #2: Look in the Recent Items Folder.
- Method #3: Search Your Computer. ...
- Method #4: Look in Online Backups.
- Method #5: Search in Email Attachments.
- Method #6: Check in the Recycle Bin.
Data recovery costs can vary between $100 and $2000.
The factors that determine data recovery costs include: Type of device failure. Data recovery lab equipment & operational costs. Professional data recovery engineer labor.
To search for files on Windows
Open File Explorer by clicking the File Explorer icon on your taskbar. In the upper right of the Explorer Window, there is a Search box. The search will look in all the folders and sub folders in the current location. Try searching for the exact name of your lost file.
Files can disappear when the properties are set to "hidden" and File Explorer is not configured to show hidden files. Computer users, programs and malware can edit file properties and set them to hidden to give the illusion that the files don't exist and prevent you from editing the files.How do I find a missing file in Windows? ›
- Click Start.
- In the search bar, type CMD .
- Right-click CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- On the User Account Control (UAC) prompt, click Yes.
- In the command prompt window, type SFC /scannow and press Enter .
- System file checker utility checks the integrity of Windows system files and repairs them if required.
You can recover deleted files in Windows 10 without third-party software by restoring them from the Recycle Bin: Double-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop. Select the deleted files you want to recover. Drag them from the Recycle Bin to any folder you want.How long does it take to recover lost data? ›
Your systems just crashed, your data is gone and your looking to get it all back…if this is you then your probably wondering: how long does data recovery take? Generally, data recovery will take 2-5 days. However, the amount of time it takes to recover data will vary depending on the problem.